Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Padre Island


Hi Guys and Gals,
This is a photo of a store here on the island. It is really cool.
Had a hard time sleeping last night because of the sound of the surf. It sounded like a stormy night, which it wasn't. The humidity is so high it was like trying to sleep in a tub of water. Forget about curling your hair. My MH will be full of sand for awhile.
There are free beaches to stay on here on the island, but they have no rangers. I spoke with a ranger on the beach today and told him I was traveling alone. He said the rangers would keep an eye on me for safety sake. They patrol the beach until 5 pm and then a policeman cruises all night. He advised me to stay away from the free beaches as there is some riff-raff there and no rules. In the state parks there is no public consumption or display of alcohol. Also, they have showers and dumpsites. This park even has a place to do vehicle maintenance.
The sun was beautiful shining off the waves this morning. I went for a long walk on the beach. The sand is lovely, hardly any shells or debris. I love the ocean; I think I was meant to live by the sea. Tonight a cold front is moving in with winds of 40 mph. The ranger said I would be OK as I am parked behind the dunes.
Tomorrow I will go into Corpus Christie and get lost. It is 227,000 pop. wise, but with my little car I'll be OK.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Sounds heavenly Anna. I hope to be there soon.
Brenda

Anna said...

I can't wait, Brenda!

Canela said...

What a great looking little store! I too have been checking out your locale on Wikipedia. This is quite the adventure!

I can relate to the need to be by the ocean. Erik and I wonder why we ever lived in Alberta for as long as we did! I look forward to more Blogging! :-) *Hugs*

Anna said...

Hi Girls,
The wind can be crazy by the sea. I had left my car windows open just a teeny bit for air sake and this am. it was full of sand. Guess that is part of the adventure. It is gorgeous here.