Thursday, October 9, 2008

Junction, Texas


Hi Ya'll
Yesterday I drove far too long; six and a half hours. It was a long way from state park to state park, with no WalMart in between. This park, South Llano River State Park, is the prettiest park so far. It is a wildlife refuge and is full of wild turkeys and deer. When I say deer, I mean herds of them around your campsite. It is heavily treed with oak and the campsites are far from each other. When you park at a RV park, you are spitting distance from your neighbour and you are fortunate if you see a tree on the property and it is at least double the price of a state park. I avoid those if possible.

When I arrived I asked the camp hostess for a pull-through since I am towing my car. She said you need to back into all the sites. I told her that I really didn't want to unhook my car kaddie, but guess I would have to. She said her husband was a trucker for 47 years and he could back it in for me without unhooking the kaddie. He was smooth. One attempt and it was perfectly parked. Those truckers do have enviable skills.

Some parks have rangers and some have host/hostess. Some lock the gates at night and some don't. Some have posted rules a mile long and some don't. You never really know until you get there. I bought a Texas State Park Pass which gives me a discount at all the sites. I don't need electricity and water, but had no choice at this campground, all sites are serviced. It is so beautiful here that I think I will stay a week.

This part of Texas is not so desert like. There is some kind of tree (shrub) on the sides of the hills and completely covering the ground. While driving, every once in awhile, I would smell something sweet, like blossoms, but couldn't see any blossoms. It must have been one of the shrubs.

Oh, by the way, yesterday, at Balmorhea, I was longing for some reading material. I checked around for used books and finally tried the library. The librarian said to help myself and gave me a bag to fill. She said next time I am passing through to drop some books off. Since I doubted I would be passing through again I left a donation. How cool is that?

5 comments:

Cactus Jack said...

It sounds absolutely beautifull with the greenery wild life and all.Ok so now I am getting jealous!! C.J

Aaron said...

I wish I was there! I miss being somewhere where everything is new! Maybe I will get to see it one day!

Brenda said...

Wow! Are you having an adventure or what? I can't wait to join you and hear all the details. It sounds so terrific.You go girl!
Brenda

Anna said...

Hi Guys,
Yes it is beautiful here and I have been told that as I travel further east it will become even more beautiful.

Canela said...

Sounds like you're really enjoying yourself, Anna! :-)