Monday, October 6, 2008

Observatory


Today I went to the McDonald Observatory outside of Ft. Davis, Texas and saw the largest telescope mirror in the world at the Hobby-Eberly Telescope. I took the guided tour which lasted 2 and a half hours. The observatory is part of the University of Texas. It was very interesting and extremely windy way up there. I am glad that my policy is to never buy a jacket unless it has a hood. To say it was bad hair day would be to understate the wind. It took me an hour and a half to drive there...up hill all the way, but the route was very scenic and I stopped several times on the way back to take photos. I saw real trees; first time in a long time.

Last evening I went to "The Cutest Little Restaurant in Balmorhea", which is really the name of the restaurant. A man sitting at the table behind mine struck up a conversation, and being that I had to keep turning my head to answer him, I asked him to join me at my table. He was a Texan, who was a truck driver, and had been through most of Canada. I enjoyed our visit. All restaurants in both New Mexico and the one I ate at last night offer tacos with refried beans and rice.

After supper I drove around Balmoreah. It is an under-privileged little town consisting of mostly Spanish speaking people. In a way it reminded me of the Dominican Republic. At least a quarter of the homes advertised themselves as restaurants. Signs on the vehicles were obviously hand painted.There was supposed to be country and gospel singing along with cowboy poets, but because of the rain it was cancelled. Not to dispair, however, as the event is to last 3 evenings so I will try again this evening. Town is 4 miles from my campsite. I asked the waiter if Icould get internet at the restaurant and he said no; not even the library had internet. This morning I stopped at the ranger station and discovered I could get a signal at the picnic bench outside of their office.

It is another gorgeous day.

1 comment:

Cactus Jack said...

Great pictures mi lady