Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Almost time to leave...


Sounds like you all had a good Thanksgiving. A lot of campers came into the park last night as they had a bow and arrow deer hunt today. This one fellow was telling me that when you get a permit to hunt deer you are allowed 5 deer. There is such an abundance of them here. This photo was taken really close to my lawn chair.

This afternoon I went to a short class on snakes. The park warden had a baby rattlesnake and a coral snake. The coral snake is the most dangerous of the two, as its venom is the most lethal. It doesn't have fangs like the rattler, instead it has to chew through your skin. Most snakes will avoid you, if possible, but sometimes people step on the baby snakes and then get bitten. The venom of a baby rattler is as potent as that of an adult. Other than the grass, the most common place to find the snakes is under the picnic tables. That is because people drop food, the mice go to eat the food, and the snakes feed on the mice. However, no one in this park has ever been bitten. What a relief!
I've seen quite a few armadillo here; one live one and many road kill. The common trees seem to be oak, pecan, mesquite and cedar. The locals say it is too dry for this time of year.

Tonight is my last night at the park, so today I am doing laundry and mailing out postcards and buying a few groceries. It is good to see that the price of gas has fallen. I'm not too sure where I will head next. I will figure that out tonight. I am only about 100 miles from San Antonio, but it is a city of about 1,120,000 people and I prefer to miss the bigger centers. I will have to find a way around it. It's been good to sit and rest awhile, but I am getting bored, so time to be "on the road again", as Willie would say.

1 comment:

Cactus Jack said...

Hi Anna
what a great picture.No wonder they call those adventureous ones DEAR!!
c.J.