Monday, October 6, 2008

Balmorhea, Texas

Friends are like thighs...always sticking together. LOL. Read that on a poster at the gift shop.

I am at Balmorhea State Park in Texas. Getting here was an adventure in itself. Hwy 54 was a nicely paved road, but the new sign was "Watch for water on Hwy". It should have read, "Watch for lake on Hwy". It was raining when I left Carlsbad Caverns this morning. Hwy 54 has dips that collect the water. Two of the dips were particularly deep. I didn't realize how deep the first one was until I drove through it and the front windshield was covered in a sheet of water. When approaching the second one there was a half-ton truck coming towards me, so I thought I would let him go first and just watch to see how deep the water was. IT WAS DEEP, but he made it through so I took my chances and made it as well. Those were the two worse spots.

I turned from Hwy 54 to Hwy 10, which I was supposed to do. But somehow I ended up on I-20. I didn't takeany exits or see an exit I should have taken, but that's what happened. I finally turned off I-20 at a service station and there was a sign pointing the way to Balmorhea. I had to go an extra 24 miles, but was thankful I made it. It was a long day of driving.

I no sooner got myself arranged here, and it began to pour buckets and buckets. I hope it washes my vehicles because they are pretty sad looking from the "water on hwy".

Thank you for the encouraging emails~yes, you know who you are. When writing a blog you of course don't know if anyone is reading it until you get comments on the blog or emails. I am actually surprised that there are people out there following my travels. Who'd a thunk it!

6 comments:

Cactus Jack said...

Glad to see you got through all that water .just don't try that with your CAR please.going to Cockrane to day A.a C.J

Desiree said...

You can put a counter on your blog to see how many people visit in a day. Good talking to you on the phone. I am cleaning house today. Also if you made it so that anyone could comment, you would get more comments too.

Anna said...

Hi Des,
Anyone can comment. I've told a couple of people how to sign in as anon.

Melanie said...

Hey Anna, Glad you made it through those "puddles". Water on the road always freaks me out - you never know what it is going to do to your vehicle or what is hiding in it! We are having a hard time selling our place since the economists keep predicting a recession in Canada. Stupid economists!! They need to keep those comments to themselves!! They are freaking out my buyers! *sigh*

Anna said...

Hi Melanie,
I refuse to listen to the news. The news makers like to make people worry and panic.
It will sell....

Canela said...

Oh, I am following your adventures Anna! :-) You are an inspiration! I think you should print this blog out sometime down the road and publish it-it is that good! Good chatting with you on MSN the other day. Nice to keep in touch! :-) Hugs!