Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Brantley Lake, NM

This morning I decided to wash my rig before taking off. I just made it into the stall, but my car was hanging out the end. My MH took up most of the stall width wise making washing difficult. The soap wasn't taking off the dried flies, so I thought I would use the foam brush and turned the dial to brush.The brush was broken where the hose met the long pole that the brush was attached to and I got a good dose of foam all over me.

The library was closed, being Monday, so I went to a computer store and the owner let me sit at a desk and check my email and blog. I guess he was lonesome as he talked my ear off while I was attempting to get my computer work done. Every time he would stop to take a breath I would turn my chair towards my computer and type a word or two. It's a good thing I have plenty of time.

I am now at Brantley Lake State Park (12 mi N of Carlsbad). I was going to park at the primitive sites, which are only $8/night, but they are extremely primitive and I would be the only one out in the middle of nowhere. When I got out of the cab to read the sign I was attacked by a zillion grasshoppers. There I was, all by myself, screaming and running for safety!

I traveled further up the highway and saw another sign for Brantley Lake State Park that had campsites with hook-ups for $14/night so decided on that instead. The first thing I did upon arrival was dump my sewer. Not all dumps are created equal. This one is the BEST EVER!. Often I find that the whole load doesn't dump; I guess because I am at the wrong slant or something. But this one was built just right because I completely emptied and washed it nice and clean. I am here for 3 nights, so will clean out again before leaving the park.

By the time I got set up I was sweating like a race horse and decided to take a shower. The shower stall has only one button that says "hot", but the water is barely tepid. I needed to shampoo but by the end of the ordeal I was fairly accustomed to the water temperature and felt like a new person. It is a nice park and pretty full of campers.

There was a nice breeze blowing, but the flies...OMG! I had to take shelter in my MH and today was the first day I used the air conditioning and it was GREAT!
Tomorrow I venture out to Carlsbad; a city of 30,000.

No comments: