Sunday, September 14, 2008

Colorado City, Colorado

Early this morning I left Cheyenne. I stop at all the rest areas if possible. I asked a clerk there what he thought the Denver freeway would be like today. He said as long as I got there early I should be O.K. He said there was a big game there this afternoon (football?) and then the traffic would be congested. I arrived in Denver about 10 a.m. and drove through with no mishaps. I stayed in the centre lane with 3 other lanes on each side of me. The traffic on the Colorado interstate highway is much busier than in Wyoming or Montana.

It is really pretty in Northern Colorado, but the altitude is high and it was very chilly. I wanted to stay at a place called Pueblo, but I couldn't find a WalMart and the campground office is closed on Sunday, so I drove further. I found a KOA campground here in Colorado City (blink and you miss it). It is costly, but 2 nights here is cheaper than a hotel. I want to stay another night as I want to drive into Rey and San Isabella, which has a castle. It is so nice to have unlimited water, electricity and sewer, not to mention WiFi.

This campground is rated #1 in Colorado and #11 in the U.S.A. This is the first really warm spot I have hit since leaving home. It is a beautiful day and although there are many RVs, I hardly see a soul, except for the occasional person walking their dog.

The owner talked me into getting a video to watch tonight so I will be watching "RV" on my computer. She is a really nice lady and has a small gift shop here and a small convenience store.

Americans must have a lot of money because the motorhomes are huge! I will take photos of the castle and send them tomorrow.

Have a good night.



2 comments:

Desiree said...

I remember that time I drove to Oregon, when I had to make a pit stop, I would stop at a camp ground, and lots of times, there was not a soul around.

Anna said...

I know. I went for a long walk when I got here. My back gets sore from the driving. I wanted to stop sooner, but the cities were so big and it is difficult to wheel around when you don't know where you are going. I watched "RV" this evening and it was so funny. It will be good to rest here awhile. I signed up for another day here. Tomorrow I will sleep in.