Monday, September 15, 2008

San Isabel


Today I went to San Isabel National Forest and then to Pueblo. San Isabel is breath-taking. When you drive for about 45 min. into the park, you come across this castle build solely by a man called Jim Bishop. Nothing has been developed in the interior. You can find info on the internet. It was difficult to get a photo showing the whole castle as I was in the forest and could only back up so far. In San Isabel itself I stopped at a restaurant for lunch and being the only customer the waitress and I had a good visit. She knows Jim and says he is kind of a nut. He has signs all about the castle explaining how the US gov't has robbed them all of their freedom, etc.
The waitress is 50 years old and just returned to college to study culinary arts. She wants to open her own restaurant.
From there I drove to Pueblo. I wanted to see the Montrose Museum, but alas, it is closed on Mondays. I drove around Pueblo and stumbled across a very pretty park with loads of flowers and perfect green lawn. On the grounds is a Pueblo Art Store so I stopped in there. It was really closed but the fine ladies inside said I could come in anyway and see the art. They were the nicest ladies and I spent about an hour there chatting away.
It is very hot here today with a breeze to keep one cool. This is a gorgeous area and I wonder if I could find a place more beautiful. It has the mountains, the forests and the valleys.
I must be gone by noon tomorrow ~ too bad. Perhaps I will stop and stay at the next town south.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Hi Anna, I'm enjoying your travels! Sounds like you are having a great adventure so far. Isabella is getting bigger every day (she is 4months old now!).

Anna said...

Hi Melanie,
Glad to see you left a comment. Yes, so far things have gone well and I have seen many things. The landscape here in Colorado is beautiful...lots of mountains and national parks. Give Isabella a hug and kiss from me.

Canela said...

What a fabulous castle! It sounds like your travels are quite enjoyable. You certainly are diligent in posting! :-)

Carolina said...

Would I ever love to see this castle! Jim might be a nut but he is a talented one!!!