Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Gorgeous Day

Today I met a woman, Bonnie, who is staying at the KOA campground. She is from BC and is traveling with a female companion. She was a social worker from Vancouver, but found her job was stressing her out and making her ill, so decided to call it quits and go traveling. They went through Canada first and then down to Texas. They plan to travel all the way to Belize. They have friends who just arrived in Belize with their camper van and didn't have any difficulty. They will be meeting with other travellers and going together as a group. I told her about the fellow we met in a state campground who met with the Mexican border police close to Belize.The police charged them $2000, and would only allow them to turn their motorhome around and head back into Mexico. She told me I was welcome to join them. It was tempting, but I think I will stick to my original plan. I don't have extra funds to pay off Mexican police, don't know what road conditions are like there, availability of service stations, etc. However, I gave her my email address and she will let me know how she fairs, hopefully.

There are birds everywhere here and one could spend days just watching them and listening to their interesting bird calls. I don't know what kind of birds they are, but certainly, not birds we have in Alberta.

Here it is only 5:48 pm and I am ready for bed. I probably walked a couple of miles today after an hour and a half of line dancing (that is me in the centre) and it is taking its toll. It will take a couple of days to get my strength back. But, what a beautiful day it was today. Hot sun, gentle breeze...what more can a person want?

More campers are arriving each day and this end of the park only has 3 spaces left. According to Marge, the librarian, there is another single woman parked close to me. Just have to find her. What is happening to women today? They are packing it in and taking off in record numbers. I could do a good psychological study on this topic.




No comments: