Monday, January 21, 2013

A Dog's Birthday Party

Yesterday I did something that I had never done before.....I attended a birthday party for a dog.  It was Pocket's birthday and all the dogs in the park were invited as were their owners.  Jude made two cakes.  She made a cake for the dogs and a cake for the humans.  Pockets was her usual lovely self all bedecked in pink.

Pockets and Jude

 There was quite a variety of dogs there.  My favourite was this terrier.  He was well-behaved and handsome.



Each of the dogs were fed their treats and then the humans were allowed to enjoy theirs.  It was a gorgeously hot day and there was quite a turn out.  I would estimate that there were about 25 people at the party.

After all had eaten, Pockets opened her gifts.  There were many doggie treats given.  I mean, really, what can you buy for a dog?    I gave an origami dollar bill.  Notice the resemblance to Pockets.

When it came time to sing Happy Birthday to Pockets, I just could not.  After all, Pockets is a d-o-g.  I read this sign that said, "Dogs are People Too", but, of course, dogs are not people.  They are not allowed in restaurants, movie theaters, hospitals for people, etc.  I realize that people love their pets, but let's not forget that they are animals of a different degree.

However, it was a fun party and another time to gather together and enjoy the day.

Today we went to Harlingen with Penny and Swan.  Harlingen is a pretty little city here in the Valley.

Harlingen

We were looking for an advertised event, but found it rather late in the day.  Here you will find that events are advertised but no addresses are given.  We find it rather strange and it is quite common.  We decided to go for lunch to El Sombrero, a restaurant we had enjoyed once before.  Prices are so reasonable here.  I had Asado de Puerco, which is a pork dish.
Asado de Puerco
There was also rice, refried beans and a small salad.  A small bowl of soup was given before the meal, as were nachos and salsa.  This dish cost $5.99.  It was way more than I could eat.

This evening in the rec hall they celebrated all the Jan. birthdays and anniversaries with cake and ice cream for all....so I had way, way too much to eat today. 

Almost every day it seems to be snowing in Red Deer, AB.

I really do feel sorry for y'all.  Keep warm.  The days are passing quickly and I will be home before you know it.




No comments: