Friday, December 7, 2012

Progreso Winter Texan Day


Today I crossed into Mexico with my neighbours, Bob and Sally.  It was an appreciation day in Progeso, Mexico.  Twice during the season they have these days to thank the tourists for spending time and money in their little border town.  There were marching bands and cowboys.

Lots of pottery


 I saw cowboys with these strange boots on.  They were not really boots per se, but rather leather on the leg below the knees.  Sally suggested they were to protect from snakes and she is probably correct. I later discovered that they were also made to protect your cowboy boots from thorns since most shrubs here have thorns.
The people are very poor in Nuevo Progreso.  There are families on the sidewalks selling their wares and often the little children are on the walk with them.  The children will often try to sell you things and put a very sad look on their face.  I think they are trained to do that.  But, you cannot buy from everyone.  A big problem appears to be that they have such large families.  I never know if the older women with babies are the grandmothers or the mothers.  They appear to be very religious.  Many of the shops sell crucifixes, photos of the pope, etc.  You can purchase clothes for your babies that are copies of the pope's garb. 


Elementary School
 As you can see in the photo of the school they have the bare basics.  The ground is just dirt and there is no playground equipment.   And yet, on Winter Texan Appreciation Day they give away food and drinks to express their thankfulness for our business. 

I was expecting to see a lot more tourists there today.  The economy has prevented some from coming down to S. Texas at all this year.  Our park is not full and in speaking to others they say some of the parks are quite empty.  However, some people arrive after Christmas, so we will see.

I know it is very cold in Alberta right now.  Wish I could say that I wish I was there, but no....the heat is wonderful.  Dress warm and keep safe.

No comments: