Thursday, December 20, 2012

Karaoke

Last evening Brenda and I were invited to our friend's RV for supper.  Rene is a wonderful cook.  He is always bringing over cookies he has baked and everything he has made has been delicioso. 


 He made us baked Parmesan fish and coleslaw.  He had also baked a thin cake-like bread that had jalapenos and red peppers in it.  Yummy!  I felt truly spoiled.  That is Rene in the photo.  You pronounce his name Reenee.  Can you believe he is turning 70?  I can't either. 
After supper we went to The End of The Trail Sports Bar to sing karaoke.  We met other friends from the park there.  We drove right by it the first time as the sign was so small.  
Brenda and Sally sang quite a few songs together
and harmonized quite well.  The D.J. had quite an astonishing collection of songs, in both English and Spanish.  He even had Leonard Cohen!  Rene sang in both English and Spanish.  There was a gentleman there who sang in Spanish and he was very, very good.  You are exposed to some real talent at karaoke.  I remember once this man sang and he sounded just like Frank Sinatra.  If you had closed your eyes you would have thought it was Frank himself. 

The good looking woman on the left is me.  I sang "Vincent" which is one of my very favourite songs.  I also sang "Johnny Angel" with Sally.  As you can see they don't always put a lot of money into decor in S. Texas.  In fact, most places look like the one in the photo.  I don't know if it has to do with property taxes or what, but the standards are lower than in Alberta.  There were very few people there last night, so everyone who wanted to sing sang as many songs as they wanted to.


Our friend, George was also there.  He was with his new girlfriend.  Yes, even at 70 people have new relationships. 

George
This evening we are going to the Christmas Parade in Weslaco. After the parade there is a jazz festival and art show. It is really windy here today, so hope the wind dies down before the festivities begin.

For those of you wondering about my fridge....an update.  Wes had said to put a fan in the compartment and I did that.  George said the cylinder needed to be burped and I needed to take the fridge out and roll it as the cylinder contents had settled.  The RV repairman was at my neighbours the other day and came to look at my fridge.  He said if I turned the fridge off for 2-3 hrs. and hit the cylinder with my fist every half hour, then the contents of the cylinder would be shaken up and it may work better.  Have tried all those things so waiting to see if it will work.  It is below 30C so fridge is working like a charm.  Our fridge is under discussion by the men of the park.  They wonder how "The Girls" are dealing with it. 

Thinking of you all in the cold....looks like Alberta has had a tough winter so far. Keep warm until next time....






No comments: