Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Day

We spent our Christmas Day with the people of the Dolphin RV park.  Everyone signed to bring a certain dish or two and there was a ton of food. 

Poinsettias
 
Christmas Pot Luck
We took a fruit salad and a cheesecake. After our meal we played a couple of games and then the choir sang The Twelve Days of Christmas. They had their own rendition. It was well done and hilarious.

 The hall was lined with many poinsettias.  Poinsettias are indigenous to Mexico and are called Noche Buena, which means Christmas Eve.  When I was in Mexico there were many street merchants selling plastic poinsettias.   Quite a few of the locals here put a big red bow on the grill of their vehicles.  They were pretty.

It was very hot on Christmas Day.....31C.  A cold front moved in that night and temps. plummeted to 5C.  Actually I have been enjoying the cooler weather.  Yesterday we did sit outside without jackets.  It is now 19C and I did quite a few laps around the park on my bike. 

A few more RV's moved into this park in the last couple of days.  I hear various stats around the valley.  Some say that the Winter Texan pop. has fallen by 40% this year.  Some of the regulars have died, some are having health problems and some are staying away because of the economy.  The businesses are doing their best to encourage Winter Texans.  I have Wendy's coupons that my neighbour gave me.  Today I had:  4 chicken nuggets, an order of fries, a smoothie and a coffee for $1.07.  You really can't beat that.  I can't cook at home for that price.

Gasoline has also fallen here.  I saw a sign that read $3.15/gal.  Of course, it seems like gas is always cheapest when I am not moving around.  Once spring arrives and we head for home I'm sure the price will have risen.  In the meantime it is cheap to fill up my car. 

I see it has been snowing almost every day in Red Deer since I left home.  Glad I do not have to shovel the sidewalk anymore.  My heart goes out to you who do.

Until next time.....

No comments: