Saturday, November 10, 2012

Cooler

Still in Bowie, Arizona

Beaver Tail Cactus
Brenda and I decided to stay another night in Bowie....just to rest up a bit and enjoy being in one spot for 2 days.  It is only 8C here this morning, but it is supposed to reach 18C by this afternoon.  It is windy and wet.  We have been hearing reports from my family in Alberta re: weather and feel blessed to be here even if it has cooled off.  I can't believe how much snow has fallen in Alberta.  That is why I am south this winter.  Hopefully I will never shovel snow again.

The train passes by us about every 15 min.  We had a good laugh about that last evening while attempting to watch a movie on-line.  Whenever the train went by we could not hear the movie.
View from my motorhome at Bowie RV Park

 

The air is very arid here.  Brenda and I both have dry, cracked lips and feel dehydrated some days even though we are drinking a lot of water.  I don't think I would like to spend the winters in Arizona.  It is just too brown for me.  We are both surprised everyday on how much non-arable land there is in the U.S. Every once in a while we see a sign that says to watch for wildlife and we wonder what kind of wildlife can exist in areas without grass or water.  I read there are rattlesnakes, scorpions and tarantulas in this area. 

Cactus in Bowie

This afternoon Brenda and I biked into town.  It is bigger than I thought it would be.  There are 3 schools and an arm of the University of Arizona.  The way the old guys at the RV park were talking it sounded like there was nothing there but a post office.
United Church in Bowie
There are a lot of Mexican people living in this area.  Many of the store clerks are Mexican.  We find we get really good service here.  Some of the service stations have staff to check your tires and the like, so that is nice. 

We have been staying at a lot of places for free.  There are many places to do that, but every once in a while we crave wi-fi and big showers.  Staying for free of course, allows us to spend money on other things.  The trip has been very enjoyable so far.

Hope you are all keeping warm in Canada. 

No comments: