Monday, November 12, 2012

Fort Davis



Hola amigos y amigas

Today Brenda and I drove to Ft. Davis Observatory.  As I said, I was there before, but really wanted Brenda to see it since we were so close.  I remember it being very cold at the observatory peak and warned Brenda.  We dressed very warm....winter coats and all.  That was a smart move on our parts.

McDonald Observatory
The room that houses the Hubby Eberly Telescope is kept at the same temperature as the night time temperature of the night before.  The lecture was given in that room today and the temperature was about 3C. 

The view from the top is spectacular.  The astronomer was telling us about a fire they had last year.  It was as near as a mile to the McDonald Observatory.  A control burn was done to save the facility.  Scary!

We then went for lunch at Ft. Davis State Park Indian Lodge.  The food was very good.

Indian Lodge


If I hold my face like this do I look younger?

We later drove to Pecos, Texas to pick up some grub for our sparse fridge and cupboards.  I told Brenda that tomorrow we are not getting up so early and we are definitely not driving for more than 4-5 hrs.  She said she does not believe me.  Even though I did not drive the motorhome today I was on the road most of the day.  I would really like a day with no driving at all!  It just seems like we rise so early and then think that we may as well put on some miles.  I think we are just ready to be in HOT weather.  It was really hot in Arizona, but then the cold front moved into North America.   It could be worse...we could be in Alberta.  Me thinks we should take tomorrow off.


No comments: