Sunday, November 11, 2012

Balmorhea, Texas

Canadian and American friends and family:

We crossed into Texas at 1:16 p.m. today.  I drove right through El Paso with no problems.  El Paso is a big city.  It is about 650,000 people, but the freeway went right through the city with no stop lights.  I drove longer than I wanted to today.  We hit the road at 8 a.m. and arrived in Balmorhea at 8 p.m., so it has been a long day.  We stopped to gas up on the hwy about 30 miles from here.  There was a young couple working at the service station.  He asked me where I was from.  I said, "from Canada".  The young woman said, "Is that a different country?"  They seemed like a nice couple, but were far from knowledgeable when it came to geography.


Photo
Balmorhea State Park in Texas
We are parked at Balmorhea State Park.  I haven't had time to take any photos yet, but will take many tomorrow.  We had a difficult time finding a parking site in the dark.  I hate night driving (presbyopia or old eye).  I am glad I had Brenda here to help.  We did get settled finally and are just relaxing with a cup of pretend coffee (made from grain).  We put pretend creamer in our pretend coffee and it tastes pretty darn good!

 A cold front has moved in and it has been chilly the last couple of days.  It is only 7C here this evening. The locals told us that it will get hot again!

Tomorrow we hope to go to Ft. Davis and see the big telescope.  For those of you who followed my blog on my last Texas trip, you may remember that I stayed at the same park and went to the same observatory.  It is a very scenic drive to Ft. Davis and Brenda would like to see it. 

Have a good night and I will update tomorrow.



2 comments:

dorothy said...

Are you guys rushing to get there so you can just stop? You are a long ways away from Armstrong now!! I hope it does warm up for you. Take care and we wait with bated breath for tomorrow's installment!

Anna said...

Good to hear from you Dorothy. We are definitely going to take tomorrow off. Hi to Bob and Heather.