Wednesday, April 1, 2009

New Brunswick, Canada




Klip, klop past my MH while parked at WalMart in Lancaster, Penn. This is a sight that you don't see at most WalMarts. At night they rode by with their headlamps aglow and their reflectors shining. I would be fairly nervous if I was an Amish on the highway with cars passing at high speed. I got behind a buggy a few times and had to go really slow until safe to pass.
I was getting nervous about my time in the U.S. as it seems every Canadian had a story to tell about people who over-stayed their welcome and got into hot water. I asked one older couple how the Americans knew you were late getting home. They said a red light goes off at the border and they pull you over and then you are in real trouble. I was already a month overdue. So, I flew through many states until I finally reached northern Maine.
Once I was north I saw (excuse the 4-letter word), SNOW! I only had to go through the Canadian border crossing and saw no American crossing guard at all. The Canadian asked me how long I was in the U.S. and I said, "about 6 months". He asked me if I had anything to declare and I didn't. He then asked me if I was traveling alone and I said yes. He looked at my passport and waved me through. SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HORROR STORIES.
I arrived in Oromocto, N.B. where my nephew, Chris, and his family live. Chris is in the armed forces and stationed at Gagetown. I called their number at about 2 pm. and left a message that I was at Cdn. Tire. When they got home from work they didn't check for messages until almost 10 pm. when Chris saw the light flashing on his phone. He then rushed to Cdn. Tire and so I am now parked at their place. His wife, Patti is a real sweetheart and their two children are a joy.
I am not sure how long I will be here. The week-end is supposed to be extremely warm, so let's hope that transpires.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Welcome back to Canada! So glad that the border crossing was easy. So what was it like putting your feet down on Canadian soil again?Lets hope for some nice weather for you now.
It snowed here this morning!! Everyone here really needs to have some nice warm weather as we are starting to get testy about it.

Anna said...

Hey Brenda,
It is good to be back!

Carolina said...

Anna,
I am looking at your Pennsyvania pictures and feeling nostagic. Back home, we are surrounded by the Pennsylvania Dutch dressed in black, buggies and all. We have small stalls, at our malls, for their horses.
I looked up Gagetown and Oromocto on the map and see that you are soon going to be seeing the beautiful Bay of Fundy.
Enjoy!