Sunday, April 27, 2014

For those of you who are wondering......

Yes, I did make it home safely.  As I have said before, I hate the flying part.  I left Dublin at 2 p.m. on Tuesday the 22nd of April and headed for Toronto, Ontario.  I had a 6 hour wait in Toronto and then boarded for Calgary, Alberta.  It was 1 a.m. Tuesday, April 22nd that I landed in Calgary.  No wonder it takes a couple of days to feel grounded! 

I took a day to rest and then on to Red Deer to visit kids and grand-kids.  It was great to see my family again.  I am still fighting that flu or something I caught on the plane.  I could hardly swallow for a couple of days, but I seem to be on the mend.  They were predicting snow for today, but it turned out to be a beautiful, warm, sunny day. 

It seems like a long time ago that I was in Panajachel.   I loved Panajachel.  I loved the weather, the Mayan people and the ease of friendships. I will go back.  Sicily was a totally different experience.  The difficult thing in Sicily was my lack of ability to speak Italian.  In Guatemala I could use what Spanish I have and I could usually understand and be understood.  In Sicily I was totally lost.  Three months is a long time to be in a country where you cannot converse.  Fortunately, my sister was there to visit with and to translate. Unfortunately, she grew weary of translating and often I missed the whole conversation.  Sicily is a beautiful country with a rich history.  I became quite attached to my sister's family.....they are a special bunch of people.  It was sad to leave.  Ireland was green and lovely.  The Irish are warm people who seem happy to lend a hand and give directions.   It was good be in an English speaking country again.

I was in for a shock when I returned as far as prices go.  Gasoline has gone up at least 10 cents/litre and I paid $1.28 a litre yesterday.  Ouch!  Food has gone up tremendously.  For 461 grams or 16 oz. of spinach I paid $3.27.  For the chicken drumsticks I paid $5 for last summer, I paid $7 for yesterday.  Almost every item I bought was more expensive than last year.

People often ask me how I can afford to travel.  It is cheaper to fly to a warm country for the winter than it is to stay here.  My friend told me that being a cold winter this year, his light and heating bill one month was $500.  I could live in Pana for $300/month if I was really careful.  I limited myself to an average of $500/month.  That is less than one month's utilities in Alberta.  And there was the intangible of being warm.  Will I go away again this winter?  Of course! 

But it is good to be home.  Thank you all for following my blog.  I have had over 12,000 people read my blog.....from Japan, Malaysia, India, Poland, Ireland, Germany, Macau, etc.  I hope you all found it enjoyable. 

Until next time..........

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Anna, It was nice to meet you and read your blog. I'm glad you got home safe and are enjoying your family. I'm sure they missed you.
Good luck on your next adventure!