Friday, March 7, 2014

What do I see?

We have been staying close to home waiting for the hot weather to get here.  It has been in the mid-teens, but cloudy and rainy. It seems colder as the humidity is high.  It is so much more enjoyable to be out on a hot day.

I thought I would share some photos of what I see on any given day.

Church Doors
These beautiful doors are on the Floridia church.  My nephew was married in this church. The doors are made of brass.  The interior is beautiful as well but I always feel I shouldn't take photos inside especially if people are inside.






What do I see when I go for a walk?  I see many orange, lemon and olive groves.

Orange Grove
My sister buys her olive oil
from her neighbour for 5€ a litre.  Today it takes $1.51 Cdn. to make 1€.  Of course this is pure olive oil.  They buy the stone ground oil.  It is preferable to the machine ground. Olives she picks from her friend's place.  She puts them in a saline brine and they keep for a long time.  She often mixes them with hot red peppers, oregano, garlic cloves, and mint leaves and covers them with oil to serve.

What do they cook in olive oil?  EVERYTHING!  There is olive oil on green salads, sauces, meat, and vegetables. About the only things without oil are desserts.  How much oil do they use?  LOTS!  I find it is too much for me.  The other day my nephew and family were here for supper.  Marco had a thin slice of beef and poured the oil on.  They are accustomed to this diet.  One tbsp. of olive oil is 150 calories and about 92% fat.  It is good for you though.

Pasta is served at least once a day.  Here pasta is served every lunch followed with meat and vegetables. I don't like to be a fussy eater but generally forego the pasta.

Prices in store (vary by store):
White flour:     .49€/kg
Brown flour:    .59€/kg
Tomatoes:         .30€/kg. summer
                            1-1.50€/kg winter
Eggs(10):            1.49€
Milk:                   .49€/litre
Sugar:                 .99€/kg
Beer:                    2.19€ for 6 small imported from
                            Germany
Wine:                  2.19€/one and a half litres

Wild asparagas and wild spinach grow here and we eat a lot of it.  Both are delicious. My sister is a good cook so everything tastes good.  She cooks and I do the cleanup.

Next posting I will cover other costs.

No comments: