Friday, February 22, 2013

Mexico Again

Today a group of us went to Mexico.  I had some shopping to do.  I hate shopping, but what are you going to do?  I want to bring special things home for my children.  The little ones come by.  They are so small and yet they are selling on the street.

Muy Benita
This little girl was selling bracelets for $1 each.  I don't know how old she was.  She loved having her picture taken.  They wander in where they see the "gringos" and hope to make a sale.

This little fellow was selling flowers.  Hard to imagine our children doing this, isn't it?  These children come from families of 8+.  Their mothers are also on the street selling whatever.

This woman was selling flowers.  They are beautiful flowers and I bought quite a few for my mother.  My friend across the table attempted to get them for cheap, but I always pay the price and often give extra.  I know they are hungry in Mexico.  I always feel that if I can afford a drink and a meal, then I can afford to help someone else.

While we were at the Rose Garden one fellow said it was his friend's birthday.  He told us "cumpleanos" and having a scattering of Spanish I understood "birthday".  In Mexico, if you have a birthday, people pin money onto your shirt or dress.  I just happened (as always) to have a few different origami dollar bills and I gave him a heart and wished him "Feliz Cumpleanos".  He was so excited.  He gave me a big hug and had me watch him put it in his wallet.  He thanked me and said he would save it.

Birthday Boy
It is good to have folded money in your purse.  There are always special times.

He gave me a dollar and asked me to fold another heart.  I showed him the ring and he wanted one of those instead, so I made him one.  Then his friend gave me a dollar and wanted a ring and I made him one as well. 

Our group went for supper.  When we had eaten all we could eat a woman came by and asked for our left-overs.  I really should have bought supper for her and her family. Next time.  I  could really do without a meal or two, or four or five, or six........

No comments: