Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Gladys Porter Zoo

Today our park went to the zoo in Brownsville, Texas.  It was Winter Texan Day, so we got in for 1/2 price.  We had to show them out of state identification to get the lower price.

It was a beautiful day weather wise.  When we got up this morning we had a good rain, so were undecided on how to dress, but we were dressed perfectly for the day.  The temperature today was 31C.  The only thing I forgot was a hat.


We saw your usual zoo animals.  There was a new baby gorilla.  Her mother rejected her so the zoo staff were bottle feeding and diapering.   Of course, we all wanted to see her.

Baby Gorilla
There were many snakes and lizards.  I rather feel sorry for them as their cages are small and I doubt they can get proper exercise.  There was also an abundance of birds.

I think I was as impressed with the bronze animals as I was with the live ones.




I was quite impressed with the Texan Tarantula.  I wouldn't want this
guy crawling anywhere near me.  This photo was taken through glass
of course.

All in all it was a good day.  We stopped in San Benito for supper.  I was starving.  I had only had a granola bar for lunch as the zoo only sold sandwiches and junk food.  I didn't want either.

We were up at 6 a.m. to get ready for the trip, so will be hitting the hay early this evening.  We haven't been up that early for months.  Me thinks we are getting a bit spoiled!


No comments: