Monday, November 11, 2013

Pana and motorcycles

Yesterday I went for a boat tour around Lake Atitlan. We spent about an hour in each of four towns.  I would like to spend a day in each town.  The other towns were much hillier than Pana so my legs got a good work-out.  I was glad that I had brought my jacket as we passengers were sprayed pretty good while crossing.
Lake Atitlan

I went to the market in Chichicastenago.  The tour operator said to wait for the shuttle at the end of the lane and the shuttle would arrive at 7:50 a.m.  I waited for almost an hour and no show.  I was walking to the office when a motorcycle pulled up beside me and lo and behold it was the guy from the tour office. He seemed quite upset with me and said I should have waited for the shuttle.  I explained that I had waited almost an hour. He made a call from his cell and then told me to hop on behind him.  Who would have thought that my first ever motorcycle ride would be in PANAJACHEL!  He got a chuckle from that. Let me tell you it was some bumpy ride on these streets and he drove like a crazy person! Anyway, we met up with a shuttle at the service station and I was on my way.

Chichi Market

 The market in Chichi was HUGE....too big for me.  I could hardly get through the streets and the sellers were just too aggressive.  I met a woman from Chicago who, like me, escaped the crowds and we had coffee together and bought absolutely nothing.








No comments: