Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Still in Hobart

Today I finally got my hair cut.  A shampoo (what a treat!), cut and blown dry was only $20.  I feel like a new person!

The museum was open today so I took advantage of that and did a self-tour.  It is a big museum for a town this size.

Lawn Mower
It is a good thing that everything was labeled or I would not have known what they were.  To the left is an early lawn mover.  Who would have thunk it?

The museum had tools and equipment from earlier years.  I always think about how en-genius people were.  If they waited for me to  invent something we would not have the wheel yet.






Linotype machine
When I saw this Linotype machine I thought about how noisy it must have been....all that metal clanking against each other.  That stool is really close to the floor.  How many hours did someone have to sit there lining up the type?  A good recipe for sore knees!

Butter Churn
I have never seen a butter churn this big.  It was owned by a dairy.




Woven Blanket




This woven blanket is over 100 years old.  It looks like it could have been made yesterday. 

One section of the museum was devoted to the Indian tribes that lived in this area.  This famous Native man is called Lone Wolf. 

Indian Doll















Beaded Vest


The beaded vest was made somewhere between 1880 and 1890.  Of course, they also had beaded moccasins.  I have always loved bead work.  Having done a lot of handwork in the past I can appreciate the hours that go into bead work. 

I found postcards at the museum.  They are the only place in town that sells them. 

We are sitting tight until the weather warms up a bit in the north.  Kansas is supposed to have a couple of tolerable days and then back into the deep freeze.  Who says winter can't last forever!

No comments: